This panel discussion is hosted by the Society for Socialist Studies and the Geopolitical Economy Research Group. The panel took place Thursday, 3 June 2021 at 2:00-3:30 pm (Edmonton) / 3:00-4:30pm (Winnipeg), 9:00-10:30pm (London, UK) / 4:00-5:30am (Beijing).
Virtual Hosting for this event was offered by the Centre for Feminist Research, York University.
About this Event Tensions between the US and China have been rising for the better part of a decade, if not longer with President Obama’s executing his ‘Pivot to Asia’ and President Trump waging trade and technology wars, and amid the pandemic, a New Cold War against China and President Biden waging it with as much if not greater zeal. In this context, the left needs to understand and engage with China on the basis of a sophisticated understanding of its internal dynamics and international role. This panel of left experts on China from Canada, the US and China is designed to spark off precisely that conversation.
Chair and Organizer: Professor Radhika Desai, Department of Political Studies, Director, Geopolitical Economy Research Group, University of Manitoba, author Geopolitical Economy: After US Hegemony, Globalization and Empire
- Professor Qi Bing, School of Marxism, Beijing Sports University and Chinese Studies Research Centre, Institute of Political Sciences, Chinese Academy of Social Sciences
- Professor Mick Dunford, Emeritus at Sussex University, Department of Geography, Fellow of the Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing, Editor, Area Development and Policy
- Dr Jenny Clegg, Senior Lecturer in International Studies and long-time China specialist, at the University of Central Lancashire, author of China’s Global Strategy
- John Ross, formerly Director of Economic and Business Policy for the Mayor of London, Senior Fellow, Chongyang Institute for Financial Studies, Renmin University of China.
- Martin Jacques, former editor, Marxism Today and author of When China Rules the World.